Sunday, May 31, 2009

Troops Fight And Die For Our Right To Have Our Chicken Done Right And Nothing More, Claims The Oklahoman

May 31 Editorial

In their multiple short blurb Sunday opinion section today, two things stand out to me. First, in a short piece "States frown at smiles" the Editors once again show their disapproval on the fact that the Voter ID proposals were vetoed by Governor Henry. They conclude the piece with "...we wonder why there was such a fuss about presenting a simple ID when exercising the privilege of voting."

In another piece, "Victim upgrades" as is to be expected the Editors show their rage at the fact that even the idea of hate crimes exists. They conclude with the statement "...legislation pending in Congress would allow victimhood upgrades for victims based on sexual status in addition to race, religion and national origin — despite a lack of evidence that "hate crime” laws prevent violence."

I
want to say a couple things about these editorials. For the first, once again The Oklahoman as they always do are refusing to look to the massive data on voter rights bills, most importantly that there are no cases of voter fraud in our state (primarily because the penalties are so high for committing fraud at the voting booth) and rely solely on ideological reasoning. They do this on a daily basis, and I think it is pretty disgusting. We are the freest country in the world, and have access to so much information, and when we sweep all the facts about issues to the side, and rely on what we want for the things we write about, we are telling the people who fought and died for our rights to these freedoms that what they did was for little more than to give us 24/7 access to the Fresco Menu at Taco Bell. It couldn't possibly be for anything important like having access to information that would create a just society for all, right?

And regarding the second piece, I do not know a lot about studies on hate crimes, but could easily find them if I took some time to look. And I know the Editors do and I know they didn't take that time. But I do have one thing to contribute to this discussion. A few years ago, I was at a party and this punk was there. He was a guy who'd been in and out of jail, a couple times for violent crimes. I don't know how this came up, but someone started talking about hate crimes, and this guy said and I quote "Man! Don't ever be hittin' no gay person...I would never do that man....I know this guy, he beat up a gay #$%^$# and he got way more time than if he'd beaten up a normal dude..man, I swear I would never..."

The reason I heard this conversation, and know that there probably is likely studies that show hate crimes laws do prevent crimes, is that I have life experience, I've been all over the country, I've seen enough to know some things. The Oklahoman preys on people who haven't seen much, don't know much, and put faith in "leaders" (yes, some people see these people who write this garbage as leaders, and people they should trust).

I think I've made it obvious that this newspaper is a disgrace, and as Columbia Journalism has said, the worst newspaper in America. Thank goodness. If there was a worse one, who knows what shape our country would be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment